Thursday, March 17, 2011

mo' mo'

















Last week I ate at mo' mo', a restaurant in Rome South. The initial plan was a pizzeria that substitutes regular dough for something healthier. I'd elaborate further but it was raining and the only parking spot I could find was in front of mo' mo.' ...

At my table I saw that the prices were normal, perhaps even reasonable considering what I saw within the first few seconds: a wine cellar downstairs and the tall ceilings, tall ceilings always do that to me for some reason.

Before the plate of freshly made pasta with porcini mushrooms and shrimps arrived I took a walk around the restaurant. I made mental notes of the lit-up sculpture outside, the red bicycle near the restrooms downstairs, and the circular white material lamps that were hung up through out the entire restaurant that made me feel like I could easily wear an aqua linen dress to another dinner there in June. 

When the food arrived I thought: not pretty. There wasn't much color on the plate.. But, but-but... It was better than most of the pasta dishes I've had in weeks, which says something since pasta comes over to say hello, nearly every day. .. The pasta was shaped like loose snail shells. (I've heard that shape affects taste.) The mushroom flavor was there, but it didn't control the plate, and the clean shrimp was clean. (A lot of the restaurants here think that cleaning the shrimp is over doing it.) Overall, I'll give that dish four winks out of five. 

Anybe I asked the owner/manager, about the sculpture outside. "Does the sculpture outside mean anything?" (It has to mean something to the artist. What was he or she thinking when it was made? Or did it just mean nothing?)  He said, "I don't know, but it cost me 5,000 Euros." He also added that I could come back during the day to check out the sculpture in the back yard. (mo' mo' was previously a mansion, he called it, "The Mansion.") 

A few days later I wondered what mo' mo' looked like during the day. Would it still look like jam and butter? .... 

When I returned mo' mo' looked like a grand house that's been lived in, which is still nice to see, but it didn't have the same effect on me as it did at night. The sculpture in the backyard is identical to the one in the front. And I guess I could leave it at that, but I think that both sculptures can be received differently when comparing the background of the green grass in the back to the white stucco building in front. 

I also found something else in the backyard.... Rabbits & Guinea Pigs. Nope, I'm not kidding. There were long haired rabbits jumping all around. One of them hopped over and sniffed my hand. I didn't have anything to feed it, but surprisingly enough it allowed me to pet it. Sadly the guinea pigs ran away as soon as they saw me. I was very disappointed. ..... When I saw the manager/owner I said, "Are you aware that there are a number of rabbits on your property?" He said, "Yes, there are twenty rabbits, and there's also guinea pigs." I asked why. His response, "It's the year of the rabbit in China."

But we're in Italy and how do the guinea pigs play into the year of the rabbit?, I thought.... What ever and how strange. And. I like it in a much manner ...... 

In end, mo' mo' is not uncomfortably modern nor does it look like the schools of restaurants that hang any picture on the wall for the sake of hanging a picture. How many stamp-like paintings of an olive or a glass of wine must I look at? Common. 

Okay then, goingg. 

   

No comments:

Post a Comment